You can probably guess what I do when I’m stressed, right? Write.
Haha. But seriously, that’s it. I write. That’s because I know that managing your thought life through writing can’t be underestimated.
The Bible wisely reminds us, “For as he thinks within himself, so he is,” in Proverbs 23:7. Using good tools like writing and positive self-talk help to keep us on the right track when we stray.
But unfortunately, there’s a whole toxic side of writing and thought-processing that can lead you majorly in the wrong direction…
And when you’re already feeling down, the last thing you want to do is to go down that road.
So today I want to give you some great tools that will keep both your thinking and your writing moving on the right track!
If you want to explore healthy, empowering and godly journaling and thinking, keep these six following concepts in mind as you process.
- Share honestly, openly and with feeling.
- Feel free to talk-journal if no one is around and you don’t like writing or don’t have privacy in writing. Better yet, pray to God, who loves blessing His actively praying children!
- If you get “stuck” in sadness or anger through the experience, after a few minutes of releasing raw feelings, try turning your mourning into something else positive to help you through, like a prayer or a song that encourages you. Art is a great outlet if you either have a talent in this area or you just enjoy coloring or painting more than writing.
- Share as much as you need to in order to clear and to clarify your thoughts. Some people are long-winded while others may find insight and release after only a few sentences or drawings.
- Test your feelings against biblical wisdom and logic so you don’t find yourself in a tizzy of romantic untruths which can mistakenly justify you in all kinds of unhealthy actions.
- Let your negative experiences teach you and grow you so you can have lift-off in the places you are stuck.
As you seek to get healthier emotionally, continue to hone your own processing style out. If you do so, I believe you will have a healthier outlet in life as well as so many awesome success stories to share with those you influence!